Call Us! Button

Request an Appointment Button

Why You Should Never Feed Your Pet Grapes or Raisins
August 1, 2021

Did you know that giving your pet grapes, or their dried counterpart, raisins, is very dangerous? Grapes and raisins are actually toxic to our animal pals. These delicious fruits can poison pets, and even cause death in the most severe cases. In this article, a local veterinarian tells you more about grape and raisin poisoning in pets. 


Why are grapes and raisins poisonous?

It isn’t exactly known why grapes and raisins are toxic to cats and dogs. Some say that mycotoxin, a fungal byproduct, is responsible. Others believe that pesticides used on the fruit could be responsible. Making this even more confusing, some pets can eat grapes and raisins without getting sick. No matter the cause, it’s still risky to give these fruits to your pet.


What are the symptoms of poisoning? 

Raisin and grape poisoning symptoms usually show up within a few hours after your pets eat the fruit. The symptoms include increased thirst, vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. Without proper treatment, kidney failure, or renal failure can occur. Keep your vet’s phone number nearby in case of an emergency. Bring your pet to the vet’s office immediately if you know or suspect that your pup or kitty ate grapes or raisins. 


What’s the treatment? 

The purpose of treatment is to get rid of the toxins in your pet’s body as quickly as possible. This may be achieved by inducing vomiting. Your vet may also offer activated charcoal to absorb any toxins in your pet’s stomach. Intravenous fluid therapy or even blood transfusions may be required for pets with progressed kidney failure. Follow your vet’s instructions.


How do I prevent grape and raisin poisoning? 

Clearly, it’s best to prevent grape or raisin poisoning rather than dealing with it once it’s happened. Fortunately, that’s as easy as restricting your cat or dog’s access to these foods all of the time. Keep grapes and raisins in the refrigerator, or closed containers or cabinets, so that your pets can’t reach them. Also, be aware of foods that contain grapes or raisins, such as salads and desserts.


For more advice on foods that your pet shouldn’t eat, call your local veterinarian!

  • All
  • Cat Care
  • Dog Care
  • General Care
  • Uncategorized